How do I Apply for Social Security Disability (SSD) or Supplemental Security Income (SSI)?
You should apply for Social Security Disability (SSD) and/or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits as soon as you become disabled. The Social Security Administration (SSA) has three convenient ways for you to begin the application process:
- First, you can apply online at SSA’s website.
- Second, you can apply by phone by calling SSA’s national toll-free number 1-800-772-1213. If you are deaf or hard of hearing, you can call SSA’s TTY number 1-800-325-0778.
- Third, you can go in person to your local Social Security office. You can click here to find your local Social Security office.
Before beginning the application process, it is helpful to gather the following information and to have it available when you fill out the application:
- Your Social Security number and proof of your age;
- The names and birthdays of your spouse and minor children;
- Your most recent W-2 form or, if you were self-employed, a copy of your federal tax return;
- Names, addresses and phone numbers of doctors, caseworkers, hospitals, and clinics that took care of you and the dates of your visits;
- Names, dosages, and prescribing doctor for all medications you are taking;
- Medical records and test results that you already have in your possession; and
- A summary of where you worked and the kind of work you did for the last fifteen (15) years.